GERUND OR İNFİNİTİVE

Konuyu Oyla:
  • Derecelendirme: 1.85/5 - 41 oy
GERUND OR İNFİNİTİVE

<DIV><H2><A name=verb></A><FONT size=2>1. Following a verb (<I>gerund or infinitive</I>)</FONT></H2><P><FONT size=2>Both gerunds and infinitives can replace a noun as the object of a verb. Whether you use a gerund or an infinitive depends on the main verb in the sentence. Consult the lists below to find out which form to use following which verbs.</FONT></P><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="5%" rowSpan=2><FONT size=2></FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><FONT size=2>I <I>expect</I> <B>to have</B> the report done by Friday.</FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top width="45%"><FONT size=2>[INFINITIVE]</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>anticipate</I> <B>having</B> the report done by Friday.</FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>[GERUND]</FONT></TD></TR></T></TBODY></TABLE><H3><FONT size=2>Some common verbs followed by a gerund (note that phrasal verbs, marked here with *, always fall into this category): </FONT></H3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><T><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="20%"><B><FONT size=2>acknowledge</FONT></B></TD><TD vAlign=top width="80%"><FONT size=2>She <I>acknowledged</I> <B>receiving</B> assistance.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>* accuse of</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>was accused of</I> <B>smuggling</B> contraband goods.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>admit</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They <I>admitted</I> <B>falsifying</B> the data.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>advise</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The author <I>advises</I> <B>undertaking</B> further study.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>anticipate</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>anticipates</I> <B>having</B> trouble with his supervisor.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>appreciate</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>appreciated</I> <B>having</B> a chance to read your draft.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>avoid</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>avoided</I> <B>answering</B> my question.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>complete</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I finally <I>completed</I> <B>writing</B> my thesis.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>consider</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They will <I>consider</I> <B>granting</B> you money.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>defer</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>deferred</I> <B>writing</B> her report.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>delay</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We <I>delayed</I> <B>reporting</B> the results until we were sure.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>deny</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They <I>denied</I> <B>copying</B> the information.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>discuss</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They <I>discussed</I> <B>running</B> the experiments again.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>entail</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>This review procedure <I>entails</I> <B>repeating</B> the test.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>* look after</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He will <I>look after</I> <B>mailing</B> the tickets.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>* insist on</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>insisted on</I> <B>proofreading</B> the article again.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>involve</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>This procedure <I>involves</I> <B>testing</B> each sample twice.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>justify</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>My results <I>justify</I> <B>taking</B> drastic action.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>mention</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The author <I>mentions</I> <B>seeing</B> this event. </FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>* plan on</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They had <I>planned on</I> <B>attending</B> the conference.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>postpone</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The committee <I>has postponed</I> <B>writing</B> the report.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>recall</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I cannot <I>recall</I> <B>getting</B> those results before.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>resent</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>resented</I> <B>spending</B> so much time on the project.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>recommend</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>recommends</I> <B>reading</B> Marx.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>resist</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The writer <I>resists</I> <B>giving</B> any easy answers.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>risk</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>risks</I> <B>losing</B> her viewing time.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>sanction</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They will not <I>sanction</I> <B>copying</B> without permission.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>suggest</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>suggest</I> <B>repeating</B> the experiment.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>* take care of</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He will <I>take care of</I> <B>sending</B> it to you.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>tolerate</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She can't <I>tolerate</I> <B>waiting</B> for results.</FONT></TD></TR></T></TBODY></TABLE><H3><FONT size=2>Some common verbs followed by an infinitive:</FONT></H3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><T><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="20%"><B><I><FONT size=2></FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top width="80%"><FONT size=2></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>afford</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We cannot <I>afford</I> <B>to hesitate</B>.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>agree</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The professors <I>agreed</I> <B>to disagree</B>.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>appear</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The results <I>appear</I> <B>to support</B> your theory.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>arrange</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They had <I>arranged</I> <B>to meet</B> at noon.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>beg</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>beg</I> <B>to differ</B> with you.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>care</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Would you <I>care</I> <B>to respond</B>?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>claim</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>claims</I> <B>to have</B> new data.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>consent</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Will you <I>consent</I> <B>to run</B> for office?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>decide</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>When did he <I>decide</I> <B>to withdraw</B>?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>demand</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>demand</I> <B>to see</B> the results of the survey.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>deserve</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>deserves</I> <B>to have</B> a fair hearing.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>expect</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The committee <I>expects</I> <B>to decide</B> by tomorrow.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>fail</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The trial <I>failed</I> <B>to confirm</B> his hypothesis.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>hesitate</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>hesitate</I> <B>to try</B> the experiment again.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>hope</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>What do you <I>hope</I> <B>to accomplish</B>?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>learn</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We have <I>learned</I> <B>to proceed</B> with caution.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>manage</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>How did she <I>manage</I> <B>to find</B> the solution?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>neglect</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The author <I>neglected</I> <B>to provide</B> an index.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>need</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Do we <I>need</I> <B>to find</B> new subjects?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>offer</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We could <I>offer</I> <B>to change</B> the time of the meeting.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>plan</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They had <I>planned</I> <B>to attend</B> the conference.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>prepare</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He was not <I>prepared</I> <B>to give</B> a lecture.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>pretend</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I do not <I>pretend</I> <B>to know</B> the answer.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>promise</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They <I>promise</I> <B>to demonstrate</B> the new equipment.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>refuse</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>refused</I> <B>to cooperate</B> any longer.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>seem</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Something <I>seems</I> <B>to be</B> wrong with your design.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>struggle</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We <I>struggled</I> <B>to understand</B> her point of view.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>swear</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>swears</I> <B>to tell</B> the truth.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>threaten</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The team <I>threatened</I> <B>to stop</B> their research.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>volunteer</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Will you <I>volunteer</I> <B>to lead</B> the group?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>wait</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We could not <I>wait</I> <B>to hear</B> the outcome.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>want</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She did not <I>want</I> <B>to go</B> first.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>wish</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Do you <I>wish</I> <B>to participate</B>?</FONT></TD></TR></T></TBODY></TABLE><DIV align=right><U><FONT color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></U></DIV><U><FONT color=#0000ff size=2><HR SIZE=3></FONT></U><H2><A name=prep></A><FONT size=2>2. Following a preposition (<I>gerund only</I>)</FONT></H2><P><FONT size=2>Gerunds can follow a preposition; infinitives cannot.</FONT></P><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><T><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="5%" rowSpan=4><FONT size=2></FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top width="95%"><FONT size=2>Can you touch your toes <I>without</I> <B>bending</B> your knees? </FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He was fined <I>for</I> <B>driving</B> over the speed limit.</FONT></TD></TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She got the money <I>by</I> <B>selling</B> the car. </FONT></TD></TR></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>A corkscrew is a tool <I>for</I> <B>taking</B> corks out of bottles.</FONT></TD></TR></T></TBODY></TABLE><P><FONT size=2><B>Note:</B> Take care not to confuse the preposition "to" with an infinitive form, or with an auxiliary form such as <I>have to</I>, <I>used to</I>, <I>going to</I></FONT></P><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><T><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="5%" rowSpan=3><FONT size=2></FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><FONT size=2>He went back <I>to</I> <B>writing</B> his paper.</FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top width="45%"><FONT size=2>[PREPOSITION + GERUND]</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>used to</I> <B>live</B> in Mexico.</FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>[AUXILIARY + VERB]</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>want</I> <B>to go</B> home. </FONT></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>[VERB + INFINITIVE]</FONT></TD></TR></T></TBODY></TABLE><DIV align=right><U><FONT color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></U></DIV><U><FONT color=#0000ff size=2><HR SIZE=3></FONT></U><H2><A name=indobj></A><FONT size=2>3. Following an indirect object (<I>infinitive only</I>)</FONT></H2><P><FONT size=2>Some verbs are followed by a pronoun or noun referring to a person, and then an infinitive. Gerunds cannot be used in this position.</FONT></P><H3><FONT size=2>Some common verbs followed by an indirect object plus an infinitive:</FONT></H3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><T><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="20%"><B><I><FONT size=2>ask</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top width="80%"><FONT size=2>I must <I>ask</I> you <B>to reconsider</B> your statement.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>beg</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They <I>begged</I> her <B>to stay</B> for another term.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>cause</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>His findings <I>caused</I> him <B>to investigate</B> further.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>challenge</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Wilkins <I>challenged</I> Watson <B>to continue</B> the research.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>convince</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Can we <I>convince</I> them <B>to fund</B> our study?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>encourage</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>She <I>encouraged</I> him <B>to look</B> beyond the obvious.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>expect</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They did not <I>expect</I> us <B>to win</B> an award.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>forbid</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>The author <I>forbade</I> me <B>to change</B> his wording.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>force</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They cannot <I>force</I> her <B>to reveal</B> her sources.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>hire</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Did the department <I>hire</I> him <B>to teach</B> the new course?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>instruct</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I will <I>instruct</I> her <B>to prepare</B> a handout.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>invite</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We <I>invite</I> you <B>to attend</B> the ceremony.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>need</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They <I>need</I> her <B>to show</B> the slides.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>order</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>He <I>ordered</I> the group <B>to leave</B> the building.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>persuade</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Can we <I>persuade</I> you <B>to contribute</B> again?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>remind</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Please <I>remind</I> him <B>to check</B> the references.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>require</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>They will <I>require</I> you <B>to submit</B> an outline.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>teach</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>We should <I>teach</I> them <B>to follow</B> standard procedures.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>tell</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Did she <I>tell</I> him <B>to make</B> three copies?</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>urge</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I <I>urge</I> you <B>to read</B> the instructions before you begin.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>want</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>I do not <I>want</I> you <B>to have</B> an accident.</FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top><B><I><FONT size=2>warn</FONT></I></B></TD><TD vAlign=top><FONT size=2>Why didn't they <I>warn</I> me <B>to turn</B> down the heat?</FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV><DIV></DIV>
Cevapla

bu ne simdi bende turkce cevrısı vardır bıse kaparız dedım ama yokmus 13
Cevapla

lazım olan anlar ne olduğunu online derlerimiz yakında baslıyacak
Cevapla

Konu Araçları
Konuyu Paylaş :  
Konunun Linki :  
BBKodu :  
Konu Araçları :

Hızlı Menü:

Konuyu Okuyanlar: 1 Ziyaretçi